You’ve set the date for ‘I do’ – what next? Here’s how and when to plan the perfect honeymoon
1 year to go
- Make lists. Where do you both want to go? What will the weather
be like? Do you want the same things? If not, compromise to combine
both of your ideal trips.
- Research, trawl the internet, ask friends, read magazines (like
this!) - see what's out there.
- Set a budget (if money's tight, consider going
- Book time off work.
- Find a tour operator (if not travelling independently): look
for one that offers the type of trip you want. Talk to a consultant
- they'll know the honeymoon extras (upgrades, private dinners etc)
that are possible, and where you can save.
- Book: the further in advance you book, the more likely your
first choice flights and honeymoon suites will be available.
- Check all documents carefully.
- Arrange travel insurance - do this as soon as you've booked so
the trip is covered immediately (in case of cancellation etc).
- Set up a giftlist account (see p145) so your guests can start
paying for your honeymoon.
- Check whether you need visas and, if so, when to apply.
- Ensure your passport is valid for at least six months after
departure; if not, apply for a new one before getting a visa.
- Visit your GP/travel health clinic to arrange any necessary
inoculations or malaria tablets.
- Buy a camera and make sure you know how to use it.
- Book extras (theatre tickets, special meals etc) if not already
arranged via a travel agent, so you don't miss out.
- Book a night in a nice hotel near the airport if you're not
flying from your local airport, to give you a good send-off.
- Organise household details (bills etc).
- Book your transport to the airport.
- Check honeymoon giftlist - is the trip paid for? Is it
overpaid, giving you spending money?
- Buy nice new clothes, and possibly specialist equipment
(snorkel? Trekking boots?)
- Buy some foreign currency so you have cash on arrival.
- Tell your bank where you're going so it doesn't stop your cards
while you're away.
- Check your malaria tablets (if relevant)- some types must be
started two weeks in advance.
- Photocopy your passport, insurance and other important
documents; leave a set with relatives, pack another (separate to
- Leave keys with neighbours.
- Organise delivery of any wedding presents so they don't arrive
while you're away.
- Pack. Then re-pack. Don't take too much (especially if making
short flights on small light aircraft).
- Order champagne to be waiting in your first night's hotel
- Charge electrical devices.
- Make a final giftlist check. See who's bought you what, so you
can send Auntie Ethel a photo of you drinking the cocktails
she paid for.
- Check-in online (as early as possible to get the best
- Label your luggage.
- Water the plants.
- Set an alarm. Or two.
- Oh, and get married!
You can download this handy guide
More like this
Looking for your perfect honeymoon? Try our honeymoon finder and search some of the best tour operators available.
Get Honeymoons in your inbox
Unique Honeymoon Ideas sends out regular email newsletters – be the first to know about web exclusives, competitions, hot offers and travel jobs. Register today!